Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Hi, this is Albert Martens, just returned to Germany from the Sahara Desert. I met my wife Edna yesterday at the Frankfurt airport. I am doing reasonably well, quite dissapointed that I could not finish the Marathon des Sables. I now have to accept it and concentrate on the bigger purpose of the race for me which is to raise money for the poor and sick in Nigeria.
I was badly beaten by the Sahara strong, hot winds on day 2. My stomach shut down and I was getting weaker by the minute. The stomach refused all food and water. After Check Point 2 on day two, I had already received 2 liters of IV laying on the desert ground in the sand storm, I tried to continue. Tears in my eyes were absorbed by the strong winds and sand in my eyes as I lay on the ground for one hour. I continued slowly for another 7 km arriving at CP 2. A jeep with a doctor followed me to CP 2 . The reason for my stomach shut down is not clear yet. It will be followed up with some research.
From CP 2 I had 11 km to go for the day, with 5 km of this being sand dunes and with very little rescue measures, only one Quad. THE HOT 43 degree WINDS WERE BREWING A SAND STORM AGAIN. I went for it, but after about 1 km, a terrible FEAR attacked me and because I could not drink, I deciced to return to CP 2 to terminate. I had been seriously dehydrated, and then the battle of the stomach began. I got diarhea so badly, even up to this day, I had to see the doctors several times. My role and challenge was now changed to support Matt and the other runners.
The first three days of this year's race were the hardest ever due to the mountain terrain and the very hot and windy weather. Many other elite runners had to quit. One Finnish 26 yr. old girl continued on day 3 for one hour without water and she fell into a coma. She had a stroke, and after 7 hours of working on her, with 7 liters of IV, she came back, not remembering her Finnish language, however remembering her second languages of Swedish and English.
I did what I could. I was physically and mentally done. I decided to quit before I would be hurt permanantly. I thought of my Mom who told me she wished I would be back soon. I recalled that statement when I decided to terminate. Apparently it takes more wisedom to decide to quit than it does to pig-headedly continue. I did enjoy the race and was privileged to help and support other runners. I met so many lovely runners from over 30 countries. Matt and I were a very positive testimony to many others around us. My wish and desire is that as I have suffered with some pain and agony, that others will be reminded of the sick and poor in Nigeria and other areas of this world, that they would consider a way of helping as well, be it a donation or whatever other way. I have again seen the poverty of the Sahara Berber people, who live in the sand, in the holes of the ground, in the heat, with only burlap rags supported by sticks as their shelter and home. And it is not fair that we have so much and they so little. It broke my heart several times as I lay in the tent. I slept on the stones on the Sahara Desert with no comforts, no toilets, in the wind and sand for 10 days knowing that I could come back to comfortable beds and realizing that those Berber Children will not have much of a chance in their life. Jesus knows all this and loves all of us.
I can not post any pictures now, maybe later. Thankyou so much for praying for me. I so glad that I am safe and back in Germany for another two weeks together with Edna. I am writing this from Dr. Finkernagels in Bad Berleburg, where we are recuperating.

PS One Irish runner was in a very serious condition as well on day 3, and he was air-lifted out to Bordeaux France. He was critically near his death. He has also recovered. Praises for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home